Blog Archive

Monday, October 17, 2011

Unstoppable Force; Immovable Object

Saturday.

Saturdays are special because, like Tuesdays and Thursdays, the Bug Catching Contest is held in Johto.

You are all jealous of special Caterpie

So there I was, me and my newly caught Lugia (named Leviathan) were walking along in the park and I was all like:


The trick is to the contest is to catch pokemon with the highest HP possible, and it is important to look for high-level, high evolutionary-chain pokemon, while taking little or no HP out in a battle. So there I was, going about catching bugs, always keeping the next one with the highest HP. What I really wanted was a Beedrill, but all of them were elusive that day and I could not find any. (I also didn't stumble upon any Scythers, but I already have one, so it didn't really matter.) Several Caterpies later, I caught a level eighteen Metapod with a fifty-one HP. I had that contest in the bag.

I was still unhappy.

I already owned a Butterfree, so the Metapod was completely useless to me. I wanted a Beedrill, dangit! Eventually I came across a Kakuna at a level seventeen. It was a hard battle but I was lucky enough to pull a win with my very last Sport Ball. The Kakuna was four HP points lesser than the Metapod. If I swapped them, I might not win.

And winning is the most important thing in life.

Anyone who tells you differently is lying to you. It is a good-natured lie to make you feel okay about yourself, to make you believe you are not a failure (you are). Everyone is a failure; everybody has failed at something, even Jesus. He failed at dying. Every person on the face of the the planet is a failure, it's just that most people can deal with it

Every day, I create little games in my head for me to win, to make me less of a failure. If I chuck a paper at the bin and it goes in, I win. If I can be the first person in my class, I win. If I am the first person out of my class, I win. If I get home before anyone else, I win. If I can open the microwave before it beeps, I win. If I can cross the street and not die, I win.



So when my choices began to be either win the contest and forfeit an easy level-up Beedrill, or keep the Kakuna and possibly lose the contest, I was at an impasse. Over several minuets of carefully weighing the pros and cons of either decision, I chose to keep the Kakuna.

Now I have a DS-shaped dent in my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment